Why You Should Not Replace Windows Yourself?
Installing a window may seem quite an easy task to handle looking at how some of these companies that do the work in the neighborhood do it so quick. While it’s a common practice to hire a window company to install replacement windows, it can be quite overwhelming to take this route due to high quotes. With these, you could be tempted to replace your windows yourself just to save cost.
But wait! Here are some important things to know before you consider replacing your windows yourself.
- Knowing what type of window can be used may be difficult. When it comes to replacing windows, it is important to understand the different kinds of residential windows available. They include:
- New-Construction: these windows are typically used when constructing a new structure or building such as an entirely new home, bump-out or an addition. It’s easy to identify these windows from their nailing fins which are commonly located at the fore to allow for stronger attachment to the front of the house. While these fins do not prevent the window from slipping into the opening, they, however, prevent it from making contact with the exterior part of the building.
- Replacement: when it comes to removing and replacing worn out or damaged windows in an existing structure, replacement windows are the way to go. It is important to note that these windows are not made with nailing fins. As a result, it allows the windows to properly fit into their opening.
- There are certain new-construction windows that deceptively look like replacement windows because they are built with nailing fins whose fins tend to be folded backward. Interestingly, you can effectively use them as replacement windows by getting rid of those fins.
- It can be hard to find a suitable DIY replacement windows.
- When it comes to performing self-installation, most homeowners find it difficult to purchase their own replacement windows. While some see this as a way of making customers pay high prices set by the professional windows industry, others believe that the task of handling window replacement is beyond the expectations of most homeowners. As a result, they are left with no other choice but to employ the services of a window replacement company.
- There is more to installing windows.
- Usually, installers would install exterior cladding when fixing replacement windows in a building. This is aimed at providing a tight seal against the element. Specialized tools are often required for this project. So, you must also be ready to understand the processes involved with aluminum cladding when planning to replace your own windows.
In conclusion, there are many window companies that are competent enough to provide quality services at affordable rates. Don’t hesitate to contact a professional builder or contractor to help you get the job done when overwhelmed by a window replacement job.